A new Talk !

Nov 9, 2014

A new Talk !


After my talk at my school  exactly a month ago, I've had a new invitation to present my work "Optimization of technical reserves estimation in non-life insurance".

  This time the venue was very different: the invitation was sent to my by my own professor Ms Lilia Masmoudi, a professor that have taught me for over three years in the Higher School of Statistics and Data Analysis in various classes from Macro-economics, financial engineering, to corporate creation and evaluation.

It was an event organized by the academic association MASE : Statistical and Economical Modelling and Analysis".

For the first time, I have presented in front of a panel of experts, and here I mean really great names in the statistical and economical ecosystem in Tunisian academia .

 The director of my school Ms Rim Lahmandi was present at the first row of the audience along with other professors, economists and statisticians.




This time also was my first time presenting my thesis in English, It was an interesting opportunity to practice one more time my public speaking skills in a purely academic event.

I took about 25 minutes to present and to explain the different steps of my work, the methods that I have used, including deterministic and stochastic methods, and finally the results and interpretation of the whole work.

Afterwords we had an interesting session of Questions & Answers, I have always enjoyed answering hard questions that seemed complex and deep.

I have really liked a particular questions about the economic equilibrium in the Tunisian insurance market. The fact that we all know that our market is not a free market, many regulations are in place to limit insurance policies prices, and to "protect" companies or insured clients from fraud or other things.

The question was "If the market was a free market and the companies had total control of the pricing factor, would the technical reserves amount be more of less compared to the amount that you have estimated?" 

I will probably write something about this topic in the near future.

I would like to thank Ms Masmoudi for the invitation, Ms Nada BenElhadj-Benbrahim who coordinates theses seminars, Mrs Lahmandi and all the people who took the time and came from many universities to attend my talk.

I will gladly participate in future events of  MASE, because I've found that encouraging scientific research is really about being present in as much events as possible, asking interesting questions and meeting great minds that can eventually be that start of an academic collaboration.