September Talk: Higher School of Statistics and Data analysis

Sep 24, 2015

September Talk: Higher School of Statistics and Data analysis


Hello there!

I have been invited this year by the Junior Enterprise of the Higher School of Statistics and Data Analysis to talk about my (little) experience as a statistician and former student of this school.

As usual, the crowed was interesting, current students of the school were very interested in what I had to say.





I have tried to give them an overview of what is it like to be a statistician and doing data science in today's professional market.
The demand for data scientists and statisticians is getting higher and higher and new graduates need to focus on the skills they should acquire during their days in school in order for them to build a good resume to fit in the current employment market.



I have had some questions regarding the challenges I have faced during the process of finding my first job and how I have managed to introduce myself and explain to top management in the companies I have worked for, what do I exactly do and why they should hire me.

The conclusion that I really wanted them to get is that the more they get interested in what they are learning in school, outside of the regular courses and projects, they will definitely do good while they are in school and after.

I have advised them to look for short projects to do, in clubs inside school, or work on topics they care about. I have showed them a little view of my blog, as a side project I do when I have time.

It is always a good exercise to go and give talks to different sets of audience and hear the different kinds of questions and views people have about Statisticians and Data Scientists!

Invitations to such events is something I always welcome!